Local chip shop closed after inspectors find dead rotting mouse and animal droppings in kitchen
A CHIP shop in Port Talbot has been closed down after inspectors found a dead mouse under a freezer, dirty walls and filthy cooking equipment.
Serious hygiene issues including evidence of a mouse infestation, and uncleaned surfaces, equipment and floors were also found during an inspection of Omar Simpson Fish and Chip Shop in Sandfields.
Neath Port Talbot Council successful prosecuted the takeaway's owner Parmjeet Singh Bilkhu after the unannounced inspection which also found evidence of mouse droppings in the serving area, store room and main preparation room.
When asked, Mr Bilkhu was unable to provide a Food Safety Management System or food hygiene training records.
Officers also found poor conditions throughout the premises including a severe accumulation of oil, grease and food debris on the floors and in the cracks of walls. There was also dirty cooking equipment and an inadequate hot water supply to hand basins and sinks throughout the property.
The business was closed immediately.
Bilkhu pleaded guilty to five food hygiene charges and was given a 12-week prison sentence suspended for one year, and ordered to pay costs of £800 to Neath Port Talbot Council.
Nicola Pearce, the council's head of planning and public protection, said: "This is an extreme case of poor standards which could have proved dangerous.
"Food businesses must ensure they comply with the relevant food hygiene legislation so that the food they serve is safe."