The Chapel of The Holy Cross in Sedona
The Chapel built in the Arizona desert
Jutting out of the red sandstone walls in the Arizona desert, the Chapel of the Holy Cross near the town of Sedona, is a marvel of modern architecture. The Roman Catholic chapel was designed by a student of Frank Lloyd Wright, sculptor Marguerite Brunswig Staude, who drew inspiration for its design from the newly constructed Empire State Building in New York. The chapel is directly over a butte, nearly 200 feet above the valley. The interior is very simple, with nothing more than a few pews and an alter. No traditional services are held within the chapel, as it is meant to be a place of reflection and meditation.
The chapel is located on the lands of Coconino National Forest, and required a special-use permit to have it built. It was completed in 1956. The chapel belongs to the Parish of Saint John Vianney and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Pheonix.